The people trying to impose a political end on the future are little better than the liberals and conservatives arguing that we are at the end of history today. Social, economic, and political change is as endless and expansive as human creativity itself. No man made system can ever account for all the intricacies of life. Reformers have ends, anarchists understand life is a never ending symbiosis between creation and destruction, an eternal incompatibility between freedom and authority.
Im reminded of a quote from Yevgeny Zamyatin's novel "We" that I posted here a bit ago:
"'Man: 'Absurd! Don't you realize that what you're planning is a revolution?'
Woman: 'Yes, revolution! Why is this absurd?'
Man:'It is absurd because there can be no revolution. Because our—I am saying this, not you—our revolution was the final one. And there can be no others.'
Woman: 'My dear—you are a mathematician. More, you are a philosopher, a mathematical philosopher. Well, then: name me the final number.'
Man: 'What do you mean? I ... I don't understand: what final number?'
Woman: 'Well, the final, the ultimate, the largest'
Man: 'But that's preposterous! If the number of numbers is infinite, how can there be a final number?'
Woman: 'Then how can there be a final revolution? There is no final one; revolutions are infinite.'"
No comments:
Post a Comment